Wednesday, July 5, 2017

28 Rainbow Hair Color Ideas You’ll Really Go Wild For!

Everyone is going WILD for rainbow hair colors, and it’s easy to understand why! Whether you go bold and vivid or soft and subtle, this color trend is hands down the coolest way to have hair that is truly unique to you.

  • Moonstone

    Q&A with style creator, Kayla Boyer
    Hair & Makeup Artist in Minneapolis, Minnesota


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    I would describe this look as an inspiration from a beautiful moonstone. It appears to be white, but when you move the stone in different directions, the color appears and reflects. I brought this to life on my client with a silver look that features underlights of beautiful rainbow assortments!

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    The products I would recommend for this color/look would be a color protectant shampoo and conditioner that is free of sulfates and parabens. This and a heat protectant will increase the longevity of this color.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    I’ve created this color on all skin tones. I believe if you have the confidence, you can pull off any color. Just know that it is easier for people with lighter hair naturally to get the best results.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    Always see your stylist at least four weeks after your appointment to ensure the best care for your color. Upkeep is important for you, but most important for your stylist to give you the best looking hair color.

  • Tropical Sunset

    Q&A with style creator, Danae DesJardins
    Junior Stylist @ The Sapphire Hair Lounge in Winnipeg, Canada


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    I would describe this look as a “tropical sunset”. My favorite thing about it is how the colors blended so well together, were so vibrant, and how well it matched my inspiration picture!

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I always recommend the shine spray by Kevin Murphy. It makes hair extra silky and shiny. I’m obsessed!

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    Warm skin tones suit this color best because the undertone of all the colors I used were warm.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    My best tips for recreating this look is to take your time and separate each section so none of the bottom colors touch each other, and to wash in the coldest water your client can handle. With vivids, it’s super important to saturate, so you’re better off to use more product and oversaturate than under. Use low temperatures while styling, as well as a heat protectant.

    In order to maintain this color, wash in the coldest possible water and explain to your clients you get a total of seven washes. It’s up to you if you want to use them all up in one week or over the next seven weeks!

  • Deep Violet Shadow Root

    Q&A with style creator, Corina Dempsey
    Hairstylist @ Maximum FX Salons in Austin, TX


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This is a deep violet shadow root with rainbow colors alternated throughout. My favorite thing about this look is the contrast of all the different colors and the way they reflect as the hair falls.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    The products I would recommend for this look are the Redken Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner and the Matrix Total Results Mega Sleek Iron heat protectant. These products will help to maintain the color and seal down the cuticle for a nice and shiny finish!

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    This hairstyle is great for anyone who is ready to rock such a bold color! My favorite way to style this is in fun beach waves. It adds body to the hair and allows all the colors to POP!

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    My best tip to recreate this look is to have as clean of an application as possible. The cleaner you work, the brighter your colors will be. Have a blast and choose as many colors as you want!

  • Candied Hologram

    Q&A with style creator, Elijah Cordova
    Hair and Makeup Artist in Fort Collins, Colorado


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This color was inspired by the tones of candy and the movement of holograms. The fusion of natural and rainbow colors, along with their placement, makes this hair look different every way it is pulled. Some of my favorite extra details about this party color are that it conceals a multicolored undercut and it absolutely glows under a black light.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    For color, I used Kenra Neons, Pravana Neons and Joico’s confetti collection.

    For styling, I used IGK Car Service, along with Sexy Hair’s Spray Clay, Rose Elixir, Powder Play and Get Layered!

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    The benefit of this color is that it is totally customizable to whatever skin tone wants to wear it. You can change the ratio of warm and cool tones used or leave out some blonde highlights. Whatever will suit you! This color/style combo is best achieved on those who are starting with lighter hair or those who have a lot of patience in their lifting process. Those that have a fine to medium texture of hair wear this best as well.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    It is absolutely all about the foundation for this color. I took extra time to create a smooth, coo- toned balayage and color melt before direct dye was applied to this color would lay the way it does and grow out well. The maintenance of this color is all about your aftercare. Wash your hair minimally in the coldest water you can with quality products! The will last so much longer, I promise.

    To recreate the finishing style, I first gave her a blowout with Car Service to create a smooth base to work with, then I curled her hair in large, random vertical sections. I then used Powder Play at her roots for volume, Spray Clay on the curls for texture, Rose Elixir lightly to enhance her shine, and finished it off with the Get Layered hairspray!

  • Bright, Earthy Stones

    Q&A with style creator, Savannah Harris
    Color Master @ ROOTS Salon in Bend, OR


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    The color combo reminded me of stones. I love how it’s bright, yet earthy!

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I recommend any no lather or light lather shampoo. My favorites are DevaCurl, Framesi Color Lover No Suds, and Kenra’s new Color Charge shampoo, conditioner and spray serum. I also recommend a dry shampoo between washes. TIGI Bed Head Rockaholic Dirty Secret is my favorite! 

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    I personally think that anyone with the confidence to rock bright colors can pull this off. It’s all about how you rock it! Don’t be afraid to try a color you fear might not go with your skin tone. Maybe just change your blush color or add a pop of eye shadow to match. Anyone can pull anything off. It’s all about what’s on the inside that counts. 

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    Use those recommended products! Wash your hair as little as possible and use cool water to keep the colors from fading and running together. Dry shampoo is your best friend! 

  • The Hidden Unicorn

    hidden unicorn rainbow hair color

    Instagram @MichaelaAdeleArtistry

    Q&A with style creator, Michaela Adele
    Stylist & Makeup Artist @ Lavish Salon in Providence, RI


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    I call this “Hidden Unicorn Hair” because it’s the perfect look for those who want to play with vivid color, but can’t go all out because of their job or other reasons. I constantly have clients in my chair that follow my Instagram account that will mention a vivid color I posted, wishing they could do something similar but knowing their job won’t allow it. I love that this type of color allows the client to hide their unicorn vibes when they need to, and flaunt them when they want to! 

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    Unless your client is platinum blonde, you’re going to need to lighten them to achieve any vibrant colors like these. This is especially important when using blue. If the client lifts to a yellow blonde, the blue will mix and create a teal/green instead of the desired color. Any lightener will, do but I generally stick to those with a violet tone to cancel out the yellow that usually accompanies blonde tones. Because I need to lighten most of my clients so many levels, I use Olaplex. It rebuilds the bonds that are broken during the lightening process, which means healthy hair even after lightening!

    Keep in mind that using Olaplex means your developer will drop, so if you’re using 40 vol. it will actually work like 30 vol. with Olaplex in the mix. As far as vivids go, I love Pravana Vivids and recently started using Pulp Riot colors. I always use foils to separate each color and rinse them individually with cool water to keep them from bleeding into each other. For this look, I used Pravana vivids in neon blue, wild orchid, neon green, and amethyst.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    I like to choose color combinations that fit my client’s personality unless they choose the palette for me. For instance, some clients will ask for purples and blues, others will ask for fiery oranges and reds, and some will let me go crazy (which is what I did for this client). I think choosing colors that bring out the client’s eye color is ideal. Purples and red/violets make green eyes pop like crazy! 

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    I always make sure every client understands that vivids require maintenance before I even begin the color process. Washing hair in cool water helps keep the color locked in, while hot water actually opens the cuticle, allowing more color to bleed out with every wash. What you wash your hair with is also super important. No drugstore shampoos! I recommend Keratin Complex Timeless Color Fade Defy Shampoo and Conditioner.

    I cannot stress enough the importance of purchasing shampoo and conditioner from the salon. Amazon, drug stores, and Ulta stores cannot guarantee your product. Using a heat protectant before blow drying or using hot tools is also key. I send all of my vivid clients home with Lanza ColorGuard Spray. This is to be sprayed in the hair while it is still dry before washing and after it is towel dried. This extends the color life significantly. I always give my clients a realistic idea of how long their color will last and make sure they know it needs to be maintained every three to four weeks versus the four to six week touch up for a regular color.   

  • Eye Candy Rainbow

    Q&A with style creator, Amy Lynn
    Stylist & Owner @ Amy Lynn Hair Design in Lodi, CA


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    My favorite thing about this look is that it is all different colors, but still flows nicely! It’s like a little treat for the eye.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I used Pravana Vivids and Kenra Color on this client. The key is to get the hair light enough to really display the true colors! 

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    Anyone! Walk with confidence and you can pull this look off easily. The trick to fantasy colors like this is placement. Make sure the complementary tones are closest to face.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    Listen to your stylist and the tips and tricks they give. Use a color-safe shampoo and make sure to wash with cool water. Dial down that iron, too!

  • Bright Color Melt

    Q&A with style creator, Heather Wilmoth
    Stylist @ Hair Klaudt in Charlotte, NC


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This is a bright color melt with my client’s favorite colors in mind. My favorite thing about it is the free feeling it gives me. My client literally sat down, told me the colors she wanted, and told me to do whatever I wanted. She has the option to wear her part wherever she wants to reveal more teal on one side or more pink on the other!

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I used Zombie Snott for my pink and Blood Orchid and Ballistic Blue (these have crazy longevity which is wonderful) for my blue. For the green I used Pravana and the teal is Kenra. These are color lines I use on a regular basis that have always worked beautifully together.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    My client has more peachy skin, but the colors can always be warmed up or cooled off to suite any skin type. Any hair type can pull this off. You can’t tell in the photos, but this client has super curly and thick natural hair!

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    My best tip would be to just go with the flow. I never envision what my outcome will be until I’m in the hair and playing! I start with a darker base color all over that I think suits my client’s skin tone the best, then I alternate my colors melting them down. It’s very free-form hair painting, which I love.

    To maintain this style I recommend only shampooing when needed (usually once or twice a week) with a professional color safe/sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner with COLD water. For her style, I blew her out with Kenra Blow Dry spray and Paul Mitchell’s Awapuhi Wild Ginger Styling Oil and then used my wand to curl her up!

  • Peacock Rainbow

    Q&A with style creator, Hayley Garratt
    Stylist in West Midlands, UK


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This is a hidden rainbow look featuring pink peacock colors with mix of heavy foils and slices through the top that is toned with a vanilla blonde.

    My favorite thing about this look would be the contrast between natural and vivid colors and the ability to hide the vivids.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I like Unique 10 Argan Oil, Color Freeze by Schwarzkopf, Blinding Shine Definer by Osmo, and Indola Shine Spray.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    With the hidden rainbow, most skin types would be fine as the natural tones on top suit most skin tones. Porcelain, olive, and darker tones all wear this look especially well. If your complexion is very rosy, however, you might avoid this particular combination as the pink hues may be too warm next to pink skin tones.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    Test the colors first on white paper to see their true shade, then select a few that really pop next to each other. Pull the colors through in large chunks so they stand out.

    Keep washing to a minimum and always use a sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner when you do wash.

  • Oil Slick

    Q&A with Style Creator Caitlin S. Strickland

    Hairstylist – Find her on Square Space


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    I describe this look as “oil slick” because it was inspired by the colors in oil when the sun hits it. My favorite thing about this look is the subtleness of the tones while inside and the vividness of the colors when outside!

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    For the upkeep of this look, I recommend a cleansing conditioner such as Pureology Cleansing Conditioners in Hydrate, Smooth, or Strength Cure. The gentleness of the formulas helps make the color last and keeps the hair healthy.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    This look may seem intimidating, but any skin tone can pull these colors off! Simply alter the base color to be a lighter brown if you and your stylist decide to go with a lighter look.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    My biggest tip for extending the life of this color and style is to use a heat protectant! Heat from a flat iron or curling iron will fade color rapidly, so a good heat protectant like Paul Mitchell’s Hot Off The Press is a must.

    To recreate this style, simply use a curling iron on one-inch sections, rolling away from the face until you reach the back of the head. Then, using a large wide-tooth comb, gently comb through the curls for separation and finish with a light hold hairspray!

  • Electric Rain

    Q&A with Style Creator Nichole Cosentino

    Hairstylist @ Michael Anthony Spa and Salon


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    I call this look “Electric Rainbow!” What I love about it is that it has so much dimension and the colors just flow together so effortlessly.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    For this look I used the Kenra Neon line and diluted them to make the colors I needed. For a lot of my other vivid color work, I use the Joico Intensity line.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    I really feel that these days, anything goes! So many people from textured to straight hair are rocking these amazing rainbow colors. You don’t necessarily need a specific look (hair type or skin tone), you just have to rock it!


    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    When creating this look, I started by doing the roots first then melted the colors down one by one. Make sure you wipe your hands in between applying colors so you’re not transferring them onto the next.

    Maintenance is so important with these colors because they are just direct dyes. I always recommend using a color-safe shampoo and conditioner and rinsing in cold water. Also, I tell my clients to try not to wash their hair every day.

  • Rose and Lilac

    Q&A with Style Creator Amy McManus

    Hairstylist and Colorist @ Trinity Salon in Fitchburg, MA


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This is a soft pastel, unicorn-inspired look that was created by using Joico Intensity Titanium, Rose and Lilac painted on top of balayage highlights.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I would recommend washing this look as little as possible. Your shampoo should be sulfate-free and cold water should be used when washing. Use dry shampoo in between regular shampooing to avoid fading from over washing. Stay away from heat as it fades pastel colors even faster. Most pastel colors will completely wash out of the hair in less than six shampoos, so even though they are fun, they aren’t always economical.

    I used Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Styling Treatment Oil to smooth her hair during her blow dry. I curled her hair with a 1 1/4-inch curling iron and lightly shook out her curls to keep them formed.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    Cooler skin tones will look best in this particular color.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    You’ll need to see your hairdresser once a month to have this color refreshed. Most clients wash their hair once a week to help keep this color from washing  out quickly in order to get the longevity of a full month out of it.

  • Perfectly Painted

    Q&A with Style Creator Amber Starnes

    Hairstylist and Colorist @ The Dollhouse Boutique Salon in Springfield, OR


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    My inspiration for the color was actually a picture of some space nebula or something I came across. I loved how the warm colors cut through the deep blues and appeared structured, but they really weren’t at all. I pictured this warm light kind of floating through the dark abyss. My favorite thing about this color is how it seems there is one look inside of another, like the magenta and orange are flowing through the blues. 

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    For this client I recommended a gentle color-safe shampoo and Pravana’s Silk Degrees Shine Serum to offer protection and radiant shine to show off those vivid colors!
    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    This particular client had fair skin and blue eyes and the color looks fabulous on her. In my opinion, vivids look great on all skin colors. The colors near the face just may need to be adjusted depending on the amount of pink or yellow undertones to the skin. As far as hair types, any hair type can have mermaid hair! It just has to be healthy enough to be lifted to pale blonde.


    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    To recreate this look. try throwing in a color that doesn’t “go” as your focal point and take small sections to really saturate and blend your colors together. For maintenance, invest in good products and heat protection! I always warn my habitual every-day-washers to try to only wash twice a week and turn down the heat on styling tools. It also helps when shampooing to scrub the scalp and let the shampoo simply rinse through the rest of the hair.

  • Creatively Colored

    Q&A with Laura Joy Naugle

    Hairstylist @ Urbanity Hair Studio in Centennial, CO


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This look is my version of the “oil slick” hair color trend that has been popular recently. My favorite aspect of this look is that although I use three colors, they melt so well together that it creates even more colors. This allows the finished product to look different when parted and styled in various ways.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I use the Joico K-Pak Color Intensity colors in Cobalt Blue, Amethyst Purple, and Peacock Green for this look. The secret ingredient to these colors is mixing in Color Intensity Black Pearl to each one. This allows the tone of the color to deepen, giving you darker colors.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    One of my favorite aspects of this look is that it is especially good for people with naturally darker colored hair and it works well with many different skin tones. The one downside to many fashion colors/rainbow hair is that the hair must be lightened to a pale blonde. However, this specific type of fashion color I do only needs to be lifted to a dark blonde. This allows my clients with naturally darker color hair to enjoy fashion colors without all the damage of over-processed lightened hair.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    Recreating this look is extremely easy and fun. I take the section of hair around the client’s part and keep it a dark, cool brown or their natural color. By leaving the part a more natural color, this allows the new growth to not be as distinguishable. I section out smaller triangle partings of the pre-lightened hair and alternate between all three colors. I blend the color closest to the scalp with another color halfway down the hair shaft. This allows the colors to melt together and create different colors in each triangular section of hair.

    Maintaining this color properly is key to its longevity. I advise my clients to wash their hair with cool water, preferably only once or twice a week. I only recommend using a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. For styling, the trick is to use as little heat as possible.  hen using styling tools such as curling irons and flat irons, a temperature of no higher than 350-375 (degrees Fahrenheit) is preferable. Overheating the hair can cause the color to fade much more quickly.

  • Pastel Rainbow

    Q&A with Style Creator Mary Thomaston

    Private Hairstylist @ Innovative Salons


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This is a metallic hair color. The colors are very muted with a silvery finish.
    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I used the Joico Intensity collection’s Metallic Muse for this look. For the style I used Agadir Heat Protectant Spray, Weightless Whip Volumizing Mousse, and Kenra 25 Hairspray to set. I curled using a 1-inch barrel curling iron, curling each curl in a different direction. After all the hair was curled, I combed through with a wide toothed comb to separate each curl.
    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    Any skin tone can rock this palette.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    Use cold water when washing your hair and use sulfate-free products. Avoid a lot of heat styling because heat can fade the color faster.

  • Half Pastel, Half Rainbow

    Q&A with Style Creator Elissa Wolfe
    Hairstylist @ Axis Hair Salon, Vancouver BC


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    I describe this look as pastel half and half rainbow. I love how you can wear it at its “extreme” with a center part, or flip it from side to side with a deep parting for an entirely different. I also love that you can braid it all together to create the most gorgeous two-toned braid!

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I used semi-permanent direct dyes on pre-lightened hair in an array of mixed tones within a common color palette. Any color can work ! I like the warm with the cool side for a really cool look.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    I think choosing the right tonal family for your skin type will really make this look work! I chose a pastel warm yellow and cool mint here because my model has very pale skin with a touch of pink. Yellow isn’t easy to wear as it can clash with any skin tones with yellow undertones! The mint, however, can go with most skin tones as it’s cool toned. Again, lighter hair works for this as it needs to be very light first to get this half and half look.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    To recreate this look, pre-lighten the hair to palest yellow. Tone out the yellow, then apply direct dyes in your colors of choice. To maintain this look, cooler water and minimal washing is preferred. Comb hair straight down before washing and try not to emulsify your shampoo too much. Keep the sides separate if you can and condition the same!

    Sulphate-free products will help maintain your pastels and vivids a lot longer. Always use an oil or leave-in treatment before blow drying to protect the color. Also, turn down all of your hot tools! The heat can literally “burn” off your color.

  • Rainbow Braids

    Q&A with Style Creator Elyse Rox
    Owner of RockIt Studio in Schaumburg, IL


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    My client came in with specific color request. She wanted green purple and orange. I did something a little different and went with alternating colors on the scalp where I will usually root shadow someone. I love how the colors compliment each other and are very bold. The braids just make it POP!

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    First I prelightened her hair to a level 10 and followed with an Olaplex treatment. I used all Pulp Riot for this color. I custom mixed the orange, and also used jam, aquatic and velvet for this look. I blurred the color toward the ends with clear on some bits. I always add Olaplex #2 to all my fashion colors. It helps relink the bonds so the color attaches better. 

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    My client in the photo has very thin hair, but you wouldn’t know it! She is also growing out an undercut which I call the “hair muff”. I think fair skinned people can pull of these colors best, but really anyone can get a custom mix to match their skin tone.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    This style is just two Dutch braids tucked together and pinned under. I’m not a heavy product user, but I always use Matrix Total Results Miracle Creator and a light mousse for control. I always advise people to use sulfate-free shampoo and to wash in cold water. The less you wash your hair, the less it will fade. Swimming and sea water are out of the question. Dry shampoo is your new BFF! I also explain that the that these colors can fade rather quickly, but it’s fun to have a new color every time you wash and to embrace the fade.

  • Unicorn Hair

    Q&A with Style Creator Rebekah Fiechtner
    Hairstylist & Colorist @ Inspirations Salon in Turlock, CA


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This look is called “unicorn hair” or “mermaid hair” and it is my favorite new trend. I love how colorful and fun it is and the endless possibilities of color combinations. I especially love the pastels because they look soft and whimsical.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I recommend a sulfate-free shampoo to preserve this color. When washing the hair always, use cool water and dry immediately to avoid staining your clothes. I also recommend a good dry shampoo which gives you those extra days between washes.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    The ideal hair for these types of colors is light brown to blonde hair. The hair has to be pre-lightened to pale blonde before the pastels are applied. Naturally light haired clients pull this color off best and won’t look washed out. Darker haired clients may need more than one session to get light enough for pastel colors.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    The best way to preserve this color is to always wash with cold water and a sulfate-free shampoo. Avoid washing your hair every day if possible. Vivid colors fade quicker then natural colors, so I recommend a four to six week appointment with your stylist to keep the colors fresh.

  • Cotton Candy

    Q&A with Style Creator Monica Jacobs
    Hairstylist @ Twisted Scissors in Chicago, IL


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    While I was blow drying this hair I kept thinking of summer and the fairs, which brought me to cotton candy. Since it has a metallic vibe to it as well, I called it “metallic cotton candy”. My favorite thing about it is the dimensions. I brick layered color in small sections so the look could change with every hairstyle.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I definitely recommend a sulfate-free shampoo. R+Co makes a great color shampoo and conditioner called Gemstone. Aways always use cold water when washing! For styling R+Co makes a dry shampoo paste called Badlands and it works great as a texturizer for a messy look.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    These pastel/metallics work great on strong hair that lifts easily. It’s a bit more difficult to achieve on very thick/coarse hair (though not impossible), but fine to medium hair textures are ideal. I think these colors work well on most skin tones because there is are so many varieties of tones in the hair.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    After washing, applying a leave-in conditioner. After drying, use a skinny flat iron to create your messy waves. Using something like Badlands or another texture paste is a great way to piece strands out and get your desired look for the day. Maintenance is very important. Do not wash your hair often and always use cold water!

  • Pastel Shades with Soft Curls

    Q&A with Style Creator Emily May
    Hairstylist and Manager @ Bethaney’s Hair Salon in Carmarthen, Wales


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This is a beautiful array of pastel shades complimented with soft curls. My favorite thing about this look is how all the colors compliment each other, but individually every color stands out.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    For this color I used the CrazyColor range, sticking with the pastel shades. I would also recommend using Olaplex before, during and after coloring. This will keep the hair in perfect condition. 

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    This color would work on most skin tones and hair types. With the variation of shades, you have cool tones next to warm tones, so when using the two together and in the way the color has been placed, it can suit any skin tone.

    Also, I really don’t think it matters what skin tone you have when pulling off a color like this. For me it’s all about personality. With confidence, you can pull anything off!

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    When recreating this color, the base should be a level 9/10 with a clean tone. Color placement and color choice are essential. It’s important to choose tones that will stand out next to each other.
    Also ensure that the sections are the right size that they don’t blend into one another and the colors are still defined.

    The two best tips I can give for maintaining this color would be washing the hair in cool water to help prevent color fade and ensuring that good quality products are used to keep the hair in good condition.

  • Fantasy

    Q&A with Style Creator Mary Thomaston
    Private Hairstylist @ Innovative Salons


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This look is a fusion of natural and fantasy hair color. The tones are more muted to give a vintage vibe. My favorite thing about this color is that it’s on my daughter. She is my muse! I also really love that it looks different every which way you part it.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    For this look I used all Joico Intensity. I used all of their Metallic Muse collection plus their colors Magenta and Mint.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    This color combo would be amazing on anyone. The colors are soft and can compliment any skin tone.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    To maintain this style, I definitely recommend washing the hair in cool water with a sulfate-free shampoo to ensure the least amount of fade possible. I also recommend using a heat protectant spray because high heat can cause the color to fade.

  • 80’s Hair

    Q&A with Style Creator Steph Graham
    Creative Director at Head Over Heels, Newtown, Sydney


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This is definitely a reinterpretation of an 80s look using geometric shapes and soft but bold colors. Using modern barbering techniques helps to create this modern day look. I love the versatility of this look as you can style it so many ways. This makes the colors throughout the hair look different giving the client multiple options. You will never get bored with this look!

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I would recommend using a texture powder and a strong hold hairspray. The powder keeps the look soft and textured while giving the hair maximum volume.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    This look can be worn by most people if slightly adjusted. This look in particular looks best on fairer skin with pink or peach undertones. This style is not for the faint hearted — it’s definitely a bold statement haircut and color! For people that want to break through the boundaries of fashion and want to be noticed, this look is for you.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    This is not a wash and wear style because it definitely requires maintenance. The client must use a gentle, color-safe shampoo and get the color refreshed every four to six weeks. The haircut needs to be tended to around the four week mark.

    To recreate this look, you must pre-lighten the hair and get an even base to work with, then choose colors that suit your client. I chose purple as my primary color which I then root stretched, making sure to leave the ends out. For the secondary color, choose something that complements the primary color. Once the roots had been rinsed, I applied the rest of the colors as a toner at the basin.

    With this particular haircut I followed the shape of the head, using bold lines and length disconnection to keep the haircut feminine, modern and versatile. Go with the flow, know your client’s needs and boundaries, and have fun with it!

  • Mermaid Metallic

    Q&A with Style Creator Melody Sparrow
    Hairstylist @ The Hair Standard Salon in Las Vegas, NV


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    I call this look “Mermaid Metallic”. My favorite thing about this look is how her base is a deep purple that morphs into metallic violet tones.

    We also put in Hotheads Hair Extensions to add length and fullness. We colored the extensions the night before and used Joico’s new Metallic Muse colors and also Lilac from the Confetti Collection, creating a color melted effect with the two colors. We colored her hair the following day. Her base was a natural level 6 into a (gold) level 7, with 8 to 10 on the ends. I used Joico’s Amethyst, Indigo, and Light purple on her base melted into the level 7, 8 tones in her hair, then I used the Metallic Muse violet into the Lilac from the Confetti on her mid shaft to ends.
    Then we put the extensions in and the final look was complete.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    A fun fact about me is that I’m a new Joico educator and I absolutely LOVE JOICO! So from color to styling products to take home care, these products are hands down the BEST!

    For this look, I recommend K-Pak Color Therapy Shampoo and Conditioner, K-Pak Color Therapy Luster Lock Instant shine and repair treatment, Ironclad Thermal Protectant before adding any flat iron or curling iron heat, and Joico’s Instant Refresh Dry Shampoo. I would also recommend Color Co+Wash. It is a whipped cleansing conditioner that is hands down the best for a mermaid/unicorn look. I also love African Manketti Oil and Argan Oil because they repair and seal the hair’s outer protective layer so hair color lasts three times longer.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    I think anyone can rock this look if you gave the confidence! It’s a blast to watch my clients say, “My hair is so bright and I’m a Unicorn!” They love it and when they start taking their selfies, I know I did my job.

    Cool tones always look better on this particular client. Purple is her new color for life! We have done so many colors on her and by far this is our favorite look.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    Use the recommended products and limit heat styling. Also try not to wash very often and use cold water when you do wash. You’re going to live in dry shampoo and Co+Wash, but you still need to use normal shampoo (K-Pak Color Therapy) to clean your scalp and hair. Keep your hair healthy and your “Mermaid Metallic” look will last longer!

  • Hidden Rainbow

    Q&A with style reator, Taylor Rae
    Hairstylist & Vivid Specialist in Denver, CO


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    I call this look “Hidden Rainbow”. It is a soft rainbow of colors underneath a veil of vibrant coral. My favorite thing about this color is depending on how you style it, you can get different color combinations! Wear it down and straight for a softer vivid look, or put it in a top knot to show off the beautiful rainbow!

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I recommend Oribe Dry Texture spray for fullness and texture and finish the curls off with Oribe Matte Waves Lotion.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best

    For the lighter pastel colors in this look, I suggest a medium to fair skin tone.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    To create this look, I would lighten the hair to a level 10, then section the top of the hair with a star pattern around the part. The underneath sections are taken vertically, starting in front of the ear and creating six sections. Make sure to keep the colors separate so they don’t bleed together.

    To maintain this color, I recommend washing once or twice a week in cold water with a color-safe shampoo and conditioner.

  • Vivid Underlights

    Q&A with style creator, Sara Larose
    Master Stylist @ Finally Lisas Hair Salon in Southbridge, MA


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This look is called underlights. It’s a great way for people that want to introduce vivid colors into their lives without a huge commitment. You can go subtle or more bold like my client here. Leaving the natural hair color on top covers the regrowth and fading that happens with vivid color.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    My favorite thing about this look is having two colors in one. I think it makes people do a double take! It looks ordinary until you see the bright colors streaming through underneath.

    For vivid colors, the products I recommend are a good sulfate-free shampoo AND a dry shampoo. Those are the essentials when you have vivid hair. As soon as you wash them they start to fade. The less you wash them, the better. That’s where the dry shampoo comes in! I love AG’s Color Savour shampoo. It’s a sulfate-free and salt-free shampoo. Sulfates and harsh salts can strip any color very quickly. For the time in between washing, I recommend Amika Perk Up dry shampoo.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    The best thing about this look is that it’s for every skin tone. There are endless possibilities that your stylist can create by mixing different colors together to customize a look just for you. It is best if you have natural hair or a light hair color when doing vivid colors. The hair has to be lightened first to a pale blonde in order to achieve these types of colors.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    My best advice for recreating this look is for people to do their research! Because you need to lighten your hair for vivid colors, find someone who knows how to achieve this look safely without damaging your hair. These types of colors require a lot of maintenance at home and at the salon. You need to take good care of them if you want them to last. Use professional sulfate-free shampoo and only wash one to two times a week.

  • Superman Ice Cream

    Q&A with Style Creator Brittany Evans
    Hair and Makeup Artist @ Noggins Salon in Martinez, GA


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This look is colorful and vibrant, and it reminds me of the Superman ice cream I used to eat. This is one of my favorite color combos: blue, pink and purple. It brings me back to the summer days of ice cream and the beach.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    For stylists, I recommend you use any of your favorite direct dye colors. I love Joico and Scruples. As far as styling, hydration is key to really make the colors pop! By using Moroccan Oil serum or a shine spray, you can really bring these colors to life.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    I believe any skin tone can pull off this color as long as you have confidence!

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    Stylists that want to recreate this color can use their own judgement in placement. I took about one-inch sections and alternated colors. As for maintaining the style, this particular client does it right! She washes about once a week in cold water with color friendly shampoo and conditioner. Also, after lifting hair to the level needed for these colors, the hair is thirsty so you will need to use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner to add moisture back into the hair.

  • Opalescent Tones

    Q&A with Style Creator Elizabeth Pederson
    Owner and Hairstylist @ Rebels & Rogues Parlour in Gastown-Vancouver, BC


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    This look was all about creating a lived-in pastel look that was both fashion forward and flattering to the client. My favorite aspect of this look is how it transitions. The yummy opalescent tones will fade to a cool platinum in one month. The shadow root I gave her will enable her to grow her natural roots in for the next four months.

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    The products used for this look were Kenra translucent lightener, Matrix bond protector. Kenra Guy Tang 7VM to shadow root, and Pravana and Joico pastel/vivid tones (lavender, neon yellow, mint, rose, apricot, blue).

    For styling, I used all Kevin Murphy products. I used the Young Again Oil, Body Builder volume mousse, Staying Alive leave-in spray, and the Hair Resort spray to hold the curls.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    This is all dependent on lifestyle and comfort level. This model for instance has European fine/dense hair. She came to me with 35 inches of virgin color, so the processing of this color service was much easier than someone with existing color in their hair.

    If the client already has existing color in their hair, you would treat this process as a color correction before you proceed with applying the pastel tones. For pastel tones, you ideally want to have a bit of an olive undertone to the skin, otherwise the paleness in tonality can wash out a person’s complexion.

    What is your best tip in regards to recreating/maintaining this color/style?

    To maintain a color like this, you want to make sure you wash your hair only once a week with a color protecting shampoo and conditioner and cool water. Keep all hot tools below 300 degrees as well, otherwise you can oxidize the direct dye right out of the hair.

  • Pastel Frothy Rainbow

    Q&A with Style Creator Shelley Gregory
    Hairstylist @ Atelier Salon in Las Vegas, NV


    How would you describe this look and what’s your favorite thing about it?

    I would describe this look as a pastel frothy rainbow. My favorite thing is the texture that the rainbow brings out. It just makes the color jump out at you in 3D and you want to touch it!

    Which products would you recommend for this look?

    I would recommend a texture spray, a fiber pomade, and a light hold setting hairspray.

    Which skin tones and hair types can pull off this color/style combo best?

    This color has to be done on pre-lightened hair that is platinum blonde. It really can go with any skin tone if you adjust the colors to darker or lighter depending on the depth you want for their complexion.



Let's block ads! (Why?)



from Latest-Hairstyles.comLatest-Hairstyles.com http://ift.tt/2m2KFOi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...